Located at 69 Palisado Avenue (Rt. 159 north of the Farmington River bridge) , this cemetery has sold all its gravesites but visitors are welc ome. It contains one of Connecticut’s oldest surviving gravestones, Ephraim Huit 1644. The sout hwest quadrant contains several 17th century stones and numerous 18th century stones made mostly of locally quarried sandstone. Due to their age and frailty, efforts have been made over the centuries to preserve them. Please read our Guidelines to help with the preservation of this outdoor museum.
Windsor’s “Burying Place” was first laid out in 1637. Originally on a much smaller piece of ground, it was located behind where the First Church meeting house now stands. Some tombstones have been re-sited and some have not survived. Many people buried here could not afford the expense of a gravestone and had wood markers, which weathered and disappeared quickly. By 1657 the Burying Place was out of room. An adjoining landowner provided more space which was cleared and his livestock grazed on it. The cemetery has sold all its gravesites. However, a new cemetery is being planned further north on Rt. 159 in Windsor.
Historical information courtesy of The Windsor Histor ical Society, and in particular Christine Ermenc, Executive Director; and the Abigail Wolcott Ellsworth Chapter of the DAR which copied all the cemetery inscriptions here in 1929; and to Barbara Sanborn who donated a notebook of with birth and death dates noted on gravestone s from 1894-2013.
Gravestone images courtesy of Find a Grave.com Palisado Cemetery.
Palisado Cemetery index on the website Interment.net.
Please help us preserve this cemetery by following these rules:
A copy of the complete regulations is available from Carmon Funeral Home, 860/688-2200.